2021 went fast. It flew by so fast that I didn't even stop to write the year in review on time, and am writing this two weeks late. For the most part it has been a continuation of 2020 though. At times it felt like a real struggle. Since quitting my old job I've been trying to grow out of my shell and start pursuing my dreams. And, as you may know, growth is always painful. So while 2021 outwardly does not look much different from the year before, I feel like I've been making great improvements in my mindset, and generally setting myself up financially, mentally and otherwise to take more risks and continue growing as a person.
- 2,487,042 steps taken (~6800/day) 3,024,976 steps taken (~8287/day) 🐾
- 377.49km ran 🏃♂️ (follow me on Strava)
- 12 books read 📚 (let's become friends on Goodreads)
- 1675h27m spent in front of PC at 70% productivity score (as per RescueTime) 👨💻
- 1 foreign country visited 🇸🇪
- 1 side project shipped 🏗️
What went well?
- Increased my focus and reached 70% productivity score on RescueTime 🤓
- Walked and ran more 🏃♂️ I'm really glad because I feel much better when I move my butt more but sometimes I get too lazy to do it. This shows my priorities are getting straightened in the right direction.
- Quit coffee ☕ As of writing of this blog post I've been 100 days coffee-free, with only occasional green/black tea or decaf coffee. Turns out it's not hard at all as now I get better sleep and rarely lack energy throughout the day.
- Started doing Wim Hof method and cold baths consistently ❄️ Definitely feeling a physical and mental boost while doing it. But I must say, it does not get any easier, every day is still a challenge.
- Shipped side project PriceCrow 🏗️ While the results are disappointing, I'm still proud of the final app. And most importantly, I did not spend too much time on it. Though in the future I'd still like to experiment with different approaches on how to validate ideas quicker.
- Financially 2021 has been my best year so far 🤑 I spent the entire year doing contracting work, and also invested heavily most of it. The contracting work has been 3x more lucrative than my previous job, and I also 3x'ed my investments. I feel like I am finally gaining some sound financial ground to stand on which feels great.
- Met new people and made new friends 🙏
What went badly?
I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. - Mark Twain
- Did not create enough. Not necessarily just side projects. Blog posts. Anything. This year I let my perfectionism really shine. It's my
- I did not travel enough and have enough adventures. I only went to visit Sweden and even that for work purposes. I also did not ride my motorcycle as much as I wanted, or went camping as I had planned.
- I feel like I spent a lot of time worrying about things I cannot change. Especially I tend to think a lot about the future, planning it, thinking of ways things can go wrong. I do notice how it drags me down, and thus am continuing to make efforts to turn this around.
Goals for 2022 🐯
Goals for 2022 are geared towards taking more action and being more deliberate. The key theme of 2022 is to limit my information consumption because I feel like at this point I have more than enough knowledge in my head on how to build a business, get in shape, financial literacy, and all other matters that are important to me. Thus it's time to take more action, do it in a focused manner, and without much deliberation. It's ok to feel the fear, discomfort but I have to learn how to deal with these emotions and go after the things I want regardless. So somewhat abstractly, the goals for 2022 look as follows:
- Get back in shape 🏋️♂️
- Complete an old side project 🏗️
- Complete a new project 🌱
- Pay off student debt 💳
- Read less, do more 📚